Plan your next event with us
COVID-19 & Venue Rentals: What You Need to Know
The Bakken Museum is adhering to the COVID-19 guidelines provided by the Minnesota Department of Health, the State of Minnesota, and the City of Minneapolis.
Our goal is to mitigate the potential for transmission of COVID-19 in our museum and in our communities while continuing to offer a unique location for your celebration or event. As the event organizer, The Renter has the responsibility to ensure that your guests are notified and observe the following COVID-19 related requirements
- All guests are required to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times while inside the museum's facilities. Masks are encouraged, but not required, while in our gardens.
- We ask that you inform your guests that they should self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. Event guests should not attend if they are experiencing any known symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough, shortness of breath.
- The Bakken Museum will not surpass a 25% capacity for any indoor event and will work with you to ensure appropriate social distancing for your guests. Capacity is determined by the room(s) being rented.
About The Bakken Museum
The Bakken Museum features a world-renowned collection of books and artifacts, multiple galleries focusing on the wonders of invention, plant medicine, bio-technology, and science, and nearly three acres of gardens and grounds.
The museum is a 501(c)3 nonprofit institution serving 45,000 individuals annually through exhibits and STEM-focused events, camps, and outreach programs.
About Our Venue
Located on the shore of Bde Maka Ska, The Bakken Museum offers the historic West Winds mansion, exhibit spaces, meticulously kept gardens, and a rooftop patio and lawn.
Our distinct venue provides the ideal backdrop for a variety of events. From intimate, garden-side weddings to full museum fêtes, The Bakken Museum stands uniquely poised to make your event a truly outstanding occasion.
In July 2020, The Bakken Museum opened newly renovated spaces to the public.
- a stunning new entrance facing Bde Maka Ska featuring bird-safe glass;
- an expansive courtyard and walkway overlooking wetlands restored by the museum;
- a refurbished green roof overlooking Bde Maka Ska;
- flexible-use classrooms and rental spaces;
- a modernized makerspace for classes and camps;
- updated amenities, including lockers, all gender accessible bathrooms, and food and drink vending;
- a larger museum store, Earl's Emporium, featuring science and technology-themed items for all ages;
- and a 2,000 square foot gallery space that will feature a new, engaging exhibit in Fall 2020.
- Personal or Corporate Events
- Garden-side Weddings
- Employee Retreats
- Social Functions
Host your child's next birthday extravaganza at the museum! Celebrate your special day with one of our exciting science-themed birthday packages, complete with an educator-led activity and a special souvenir to take home.
Historical ambiance reigns supreme in the beautiful West Winds mansion. Built in 1929 by William Goodfellow, West Winds combines English Tudor, European Gothic Revival, and other architectural styles.
A full West Winds mansion rental includes access to gardens and the rooftop terrace overlooking Bde Maka Ska and is open for activity and exploration in all rooms adjacent to the Great Hall, with no access to the public for the duration of the event.
Capacity | 100
Great Hall & Sunroom
With high ceilings, ornately carved walnut paneling, and large windows overlooking the green roof, the Great Hall is perfect for meetings, receptions, and meals.
The attached Sunroom is bathed in light and offers patrons the opportunity to access our beautiful courtyard gardens.The Great Hall is outfitted with audio and video technology including projectors, retractable screens, microphones and speakers.
The Great Hall & Sunroom are included in West Winds mansion rentals and can not be rented individually at this time.
Capacity | 100
A charming spot for a sun-filled meeting best for small groups with access to a wall-mounted flat screen television and conference table. The Franklin Room can be closed off to the public for private meetings.
The Franklin Room is included in West Winds mansion rentals or can be rented individually.
Capacity | 10
We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and our attention to detail. To make planning your event as convenient as possible, the following amenities are available at no additional cost:
AUDIO & VIDEO
- Available The Great Hall and Franklin Room.
- Ceiling mounted projectors and retractable screens
- One wireless lapel microphone and one wireless handheld
- Wall mounted speakers and sub-woofer
- Two K28 portable speakers (indoor/outdoor) with mixer, stand, and microphone
- Blu-Ray and DVD players
- iPhone/Android/MP3 connection
- 50-inch flat screen wired for computer use
- Applicable power strips and cables
- Presentation remote and laser pointer
- HDMI/VGA/Apple connectors
(others available by request)
Missing something? Please contact us with specific questions about our audio/video and amenities. We will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Tables, Chairs, and Linens
- White or black linens provided for bar service stations and banquet buffet table by request
- 26 6-foot banquet table, seats six each, black or white linens
- 16 48-inch round tables, seats four to six
- 15 high-top tables, black linens
- Nine 4-foot banquet tables, seats four
- Six 60-inch round tables, seats six to eight
- Three 30-inch low round tables
- 10 8-foot banquet tables, seats eight, with black linens
- 100 armed chairs, padded brown
- 100 folding chairs, dark wood with burgundy-red seat
- 80 Herman Miller chairs, black plastic
- 50 outdoor chairs, red vinyl wood
- 12 outdoor folding chairs, white
- Five bistro tables and chairs, seats two
- 18 stone benches (Gardens)
- Five picnic tables, six seats each (Rooftop Terrace)
- Tabletop lectern
- Lawn games and board games
- Five 10x10’ shade structures
- LED Candles and Flower Vases